Privacy of Personal Information Policy for Individuals Receiving Support, Staff, and Volunteers
This policy is written in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Actand the regulations of the Ontario Access and Privacy Office and is a companion policy to the agency’s policies on Confidentiality, Access to, and Disclosure of Information.
- Privacy Officer and Accountability
The person designated as the organization’s Privacy Officer for the purposes of this policy and applicable legislation will be the Executive Director. All employees of Community Living Chatham-Kent will be accountable to the Executive Director for protecting the confidentiality and security of all personal information they come in contact with.
- Personal Information
The agency will identify the purposes for which your personal information is collected and used at the time of or before the collection of the personal information. Information is collected for the following purposes:
- Receiving your application for service and support, membership, employment, or volunteering
- Assessing eligibility for agency membership
- Providing you with assistance, establishing and maintaining communication with you and responding to inquiries you may make
- Assessing the adequacy and quality of assistance provided to you
- Meeting legal and regulatory requirements
- Confirming your employment or volunteer status and maintaining communications with you
- To meet Community Living Chatham-Kent’s obligations as an employer, the agency will need to share your information with other corporations such as but not limited to our insurance providers, your direct deposit bank, government agencies, and the official employee bargaining agent. Your Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.) is required for many of these obligations and will be shared only when required
- To establish emergency contact with family and/or others as designated by you
- To communicate with you for the purposes of fund development, information sharing and agency activities
We will only collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent except where otherwise required or permitted by law. With the exception of membership mailing addresses provided to Community Living Ontario, we will not share, sell, trade or rent personal information. Individuals already receiving support, employees and volunteers will be provided with a copy of this policy to be signed and returned.
- Collection of Information
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that personal information which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization and shall be collected by fair and lawful means only.
- Use, Disclosure and Retention of Information
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those purposes for which it was collected except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. When information is no longer required to be kept, Community Living Chatham-Kent will destroy paper files and purge electronic files in a secure way that will eliminate the possibility of information contained in such files being accessible to anyone else.
Personal information collected shall be accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. You can assist us in ensuring your records are current by providing us with changes to your personal information. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your personal information in writing to the Privacy Officer and/or her designate.
Files containing personal information of those receiving support, volunteers and employees alike, both paper and electronic, will be stored in a manner which only authorized personnel have access. The storage area and filing cabinets will be locked and computer files protected by passwords. Electronically transmitted information via public internet is not 100% secure. Therefore we cannot ensure the security of any information transmitted electronically via public internet between yourself and Community Living Chatham-Kent. All volunteers and employees of Community Living Chatham-Kent sign an “Oath of Confidentiality” at the time of hire in which they acknowledge their duties subject to this policy, the agency’s Confidentiality, Access to, and Disclosure of Information Policy and related legislation.
This policy is publicly posted and accessible via Community Living Chatham-Kent’s internet web site and paper copies are available on request to the Privacy Officer.
- Individual Access
In accordance with current policy and procedure, individuals receiving support, volunteers and staff may view the paper and electronic files maintained by Community Living Chatham-Kent with their own information. You may comment on accuracy, identify information that may not be correct or current and make specific suggestions for revision. You have the right to a copy of all documents contained in the files subject to agency policy and procedure and any legal restrictions. A nominal fee may be imposed for photocopies.
Individuals receiving support, volunteers and employees alike may contact the Privacy Officer with questions, suggestions or opinions with regards to compliance with this policy and relevant legislation. The Privacy Officer is responsible for monitoring applicable legislation and taking such steps as required ensuring that Community Living Chatham-Kent is in compliance. This responsibility will include suggesting draft revisions of this policy for Board of Directors consideration and adoption at the appropriate times.
For further information, contact 519-352-1174, extension 243.